The Pennsylvania State Association of Boroughs (PSAB) believes that the outreach of both the community to the youth and the youth to the community is the start of building our boroughs toward the future. It is with this thought that the Jonestown Borough Council is seeking to educate and involve the youth of the Borough in our local government.
The Council would like to extend an invitation to Northern Lebanon High School students in the Junior and Senior classes to become a Junior Member of our Council.
As a Junior Council Member, you will:
° Serve either a one year or two year term. A term of office runs the length of a school year, September thru May.
° Be sworn in upon appointment and take an ‘oath of office’.
° Attend and participate in all Council and Committee meetings, budget sessions and other ‘special’ meetings, as appropriate.
° Help with local events such as parades, festivals and other community events.
° Be a voice for your peers and for the future of our community.
° Be guided by a mentor from the Borough Council.
A Junior Council Member must be a resident of Jonestown Borough. They do not receive compensation and while they attend monthly Council meetings and are permitted to participate fully in those proceedings, they are not able to vote or attend executive sessions.
If you are interested in becoming a Junior Council Person, please complete the attached Application of Interest and either email it to Melissa Reynolds at email@example.com or it may be dropped off at the Borough Office, Monday thru Friday 8am-1pm or Monday and Wednesday 4pm-7pm. You may also pick up a packet at the NLHS Guidance Office.
The Jonestown Borough Council would to announce that we are currently accepting candidates for the position of Mayor.
Requirements are that you must be a Borough resident for at least one year and the position of Mayor requires this individual to work closely with the Borough Council to make decisions that will affect and benefit our community.
The roles of the mayor include:
• Perform marriage ceremonies (This is a privilege, not a requirement of the office)
• Attend ribbon-cutting ceremonies
• Represent the borough at public events and celebrations
• Be involved with the police department in community projects
• Submit articles for the borough website or newsletter
• Attend and participate in municipal meetings
• Speak at schools and local functions
• Attend conferences and training to increase knowledge
• Refrain from being a one-issue official
• Balance needs with available funding to remain fiscally responsible
The duties of the mayor include:
• Enforce ordinances and regulations
• Administer oaths and affirmations
• Preside over mandatory reorganization meeting
• Vote when it is necessary to break tied votes of council
• Take part in council discussions
• Declare an emergency and regulate certain actions during this time
• Administer the police department
• Inform council of fees charged and collected for performing marriage ceremonies
If you are interested in submitting your name for the position of Mayor, please stop by the Jonestown Borough office, 295 South Mill Street, Monday through Friday, between 8:00 AM and 1:00 PM, Monday and Wednesday 4:00pm – 7:00pm, or call 717-861-5414.
Jonestown Borough is seeking a substitute School Crossing Guard to start immediately. Working hours are Monday – Friday from 8:15 AM – 9:00 AM and 2:45 PM – 3:30 PM. The rate of pay for this position is $20 per day. If you are interested, please stop by the Jonestown Borough office, 295 South Mill Street, Monday through Friday, between 8:00 AM and 1:00 PM, Monday and Wednesday 4:00 PM to 7:00PM, or call 717-861-5414.
Volunteers are needed to work weekends in the rides and food/beverage areas at Hersheypark. Not only will volunteers earn money for the Jonestown Park but they also receive vouchers (tickets) in exchange for donating their time! Give a little, get a lot! If you are interested in volunteering and would like to receive the Hersheypark schedules for our group, please contact Janet Yiengst at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 717-865-4892. Information regarding dress codes, job requirements and directions will be given at that time. You must be at least 18 years old to volunteer.
PARKS, REC & EVENTS VOLUNTEERS
Jonestown PRE Committee is looking for residents who want to get involved with our community by joining our Committee or by volunteering their time at events on an as-needed basis. Smiling, happy, creative and caring individuals and families wanted! Please contact Tracey at email@example.com for more information or to volunteer.