We are proud to bring you a new series of public awareness articles from the North Lebanon Township Police. Jonestown and the North Lebanon Township Police care about the safety and well-being of our community and it’s residents and would like to share the following information in regards to how your identity can be stolen.
HOW IDENTITY THIEVES USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
- They may call your credit card issuer to change the billing address on your credit card account. The imposter then runs up charges on your account and because your bills are being sent to a different address, it may be some time before you realize there’s a problem.
- They may open new credit card accounts in your name. When they use the credit cards and don’t pay the bills, the delinquent accounts are reported on your credit report.
- They may establish phone or wireless service in your name.
- They may open a bank account in your name and write bad checks on that account.
- They may counterfeit checks, credit/debit cards or authorize electronic transfers in your name and drain your bank account.
- They may file for bankruptcy under your name to avoid eviction.
- They may buy a car by taking out an auto loan in your name.
- They may get identification such as a driver’s license issued with their picture but in your name.
- They may get a job or file fraudulent tax returns in your name.
- They may give your name to the police during an arrest. If they don’t show up for their court date, a warrant for arrest is issued in your name.
We cannot stress enough how important it is to be proactive in protecting your name and your credit. Check your account balances on your checking, savings and credit card accounts on a regular basis. Most institutions offer online access so you can look at your account at any point in time and you do not have to wait for a monthly statement. MOST IMPORTANTLY – CHECK YOUR CREDIT REPORT! There are companies that offer free access to your credit report. It is so important to check this report on a monthly basis so if there is a discrepancy, you can address it immediately. BE PROACTIVE, BE AWARE AND BE SAFE!!